Happy Earth Month 2018 everyone! Though we believe Earth Day should be every day, we still appreciate that there is a month dedicated to bringing awareness to this wonderful planet we call home. To celebrate, we created a guide to help you navigate and enjoy Earth Month this year. From events, to activities, to what to buy, and what to do –– see more below.
When shopping, support…
- Certified Green Businesses
- Certified B Corporations
- Fair Trade Certified Brands
- 1% for the Planet Brands
There are many environmental nonprofits & land trusts doing great work on Earth Day and they are always in need of volunteers. Patagonia Actionworks is a great tool to find environmental organizations in your area. Some events include:
- Beach cleanups from the Surfrider Foundation and Heal the Bay.
- California State Park Foundations commits to restoration and cleanups.
- If you’re in Northern and Southern California there are many cities celebrating Earth Day with forest restoration, restoring hiking trails, replanting native plants, and much more. Use the following link to find fun eco events and festivals near you. *Note: Some cities have not been updated. Please visit specific websites for more info.
When bringing awareness…
- End Plastic Pollution is the theme for Earth Day 2018.
- Join an environmental cause with campaigns like The Last Plastic Straw or Stand Up for Clean Water.
- Spread the word on environmental issues you care about. It all starts with a conversation.
When heading outdoors…
Attend one of these events during National Park Week:
- April 21: Fee Free Day
- April 21: National Junior Ranger Day
- April 21: Volunteer Day
- April 22: Earth Day
- April 28: Military & Veteran Recognition Day
- April 29: National Park Rx Day
When attending events….
There are lots of fun environmentally-friendly events scheduled for April. Events are related to composting, cycling, waste management, climate change education, or tech. Find one you’re interested in or do a quick Google search for Earth Day 2018 events in your area. Below is a list of events you can find us at this year – or events we wish we could attend. If only we can go to them all!
- Zero Waste Fair
- City of LA Earth Day
- Earth Day in Grand Park, L.A.
- Thousand Oaks Earth Month
- Ventura Ecofest
- Monterey Park Bike Ride
- Long Beach Aquarium Earth Day event
- Oceanside Earth Month
- Carlsbad Earth Month
- San Diego Earth Day
- Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival
- Cupertino Earth Day & Arbor Day Festival
- Stinson Beach Earth Day Celebration
- Earth Day San Francisco 2018
- San Jose Alum Rock Park Earth Day 2018
- San Francisco March for Science
- Palo Alto Great Race for Saving Water & Earth Day Festival (even if you’re not running, come support those who are).
- Oakland Earth Day
- Golden Gate National Park Earth Weekend
- East Bay Earth Day
- Berkeley Earth Day
*additional events can be found on the Tinycaravan events page.
Other tips on how to recycle correctly, bringing your own reusable utensils when dining out or bringing reusable produce bags when grocery shopping, and kitchen alternatives that reduce plastic waste.
Happy Earth Month,
Jennifer and Vivian